Book reports might sound like an arduous task at first, but you can write a credible report if you follow some basic steps. Writing book reports seem difficult because it tests your analytical skills and requires you to thoroughly understand the book at hand. An effective book report includes the main theme of the book, the plot, and analysis of the characters.
1. Include these elements in your book report
Book reports should include these elements as it provides important insight about the book.
- Features such as the title of the book, author, publication date, and publisher etc.
- The plot of the book
- References from the book to support your opinion
- Character Descriptions
2. Make notes
After choosing the book that you are going to write a report on, the next step is to make notes. These are the steps you should follow:
- Thoroughly read the text to identify the main topics discussed in the book. Keep track of main events and characters so that you can write about them in the report.
- Quotations from the book that can help to support your opinion should be copied down.
- Categorizing your notes and jotting them down in chronological order helps to organize your work.
3. Use your notes to write the report
Now that pre-writing exercises are done, it is now time to complete the book report. To leave the readers in awe, connect the dots and use your notes to decipher the hidden details in the text. A good analysis of the text is enjoyed by the audience. Proper analysis requires a thorough reading and smart planning.
- The introduction of your book report should include the name of the author, book title, publication date, and other specific details. Moreover, it should include a sentence that tells the main idea of the book and elaborates on the genre of the book.
- Provide the synopsis of the text in the main body of the report and identify the thesis. You should also comment on the writing style of the writer to show in-depth analysis.
- End the book report with a striking conclusion. You can add your own opinions about the book in this paragraph. Furthermore, make sure that your conclusive paragraph ticks all the requirements of your instructor.
- After writing the book report, revise and edit the piece. Revision helps to pick out errors in your writing.
Your book report requires critical analysis and synopsis of the text. Furthermore, if it is a college-level report, make sure to include bibliographical details in it. You can from different academic styles to adopt such as Harvard, Chicago, APA, MLA etc.
During the writing process, make sure to follow the order that is provided by the author in the text. Analyze the book accordingly and include crucial details to support your point of view.
Book reports are assigned to students to polish their analytical and evaluation skills. The students also learn how to summarize, compare, and develop an effective argument after consulting a text.